Pages

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Crossroads of Character: Learning to Make Wise Choices (Book Review)

Crossroads of Character: Learning to Make Wise Choices
The children and I have been focusing upon character issues during the last few weeks.  We have talked about how the word "character" refers to a person's qualities, or traits, and that our character can either be good or bad.  Since they all agreed that they would like their characters to be good, we have been asking God each night to help us understand what qualities He wants us to have in our lives. 

What I love about Crossroads of Character is that it has provided a wonderful framework for our discussions.  Each night we read about one quality and then think through how that applies to our lives (even Mommy) and then we ask God to help us practice what we are learning.

I have to say that I wasn't sure how the children would react to this book.  At first I thought it might seem like just another set of stories to them.  Now I would have to say that the children have been extremely engaged.  Each little lesson presents a real live child, a difficult challenge they faced and how the decided to do the right thing.  These are tangible examples of things that happen in every little life just about every day.  Early on, there may have been times when I thought the accounts given by the kids were just a little bit idealized, but as my children have been applying what they are learning they are starting to sound somewhat unfamiliar (in a good way).  It is wonderful watching them trying to emulate these sweet examples.  While this book is largely written for preschoolers, my six and seven year old have been greatly impacted by these accounts in a way that really overwhelms my heart!  It really is moving to see my children learning more about what it is to walk in the truth.

Really, I think this issue means SO much to every parent. Just about all of us want our children to be wonderful, cooperative, fruitful, and spiritually sensitive individuals! As I did not come from a heritage that instilled these qualities in me as a youngling I have to say that I am very hopeful and encouraged for our kids and grandkids, that they will embrace these truths, not merely externally, but internally as well and that they will continue to teach their little ones in the years ahead. Books like these are little stepping stones, handy hooks for hanging memories, that will one day, I hope and pray, result in the genuine fruit of faith and a life of utter dependence upon our Lord and Savior.

Learn more about Kate Boyer Brown and Marily Boyer, their preschool curriculum and child-rearing resources at www.thelearningparent.com.

SPOILER ALERT (haha)

For those who might consider purchasing this book, the qualities it describes are: Obedience, Patience, Honesty, Gratefulness, Respectfulness, Responsibility, Initiative, Diligence, Kindness, Self-Control, Contentment, and Deference (Sharing),

I think I may have found the best online price ($11.99) at http://www.christianbook.com/crossroads-character-learning-make-wise-choices/kate-brown/9780977768523/pd/768523#curr.  I highly recommend nabbing this little treasure.  I pray it blesses you as it has our family!  :)